The Importance of Window Selection
Window selection is a very important part of the design process. Windows create the desired mood and atmosphere that you want. There are many different window types. Each offers its own unique features and benefits.
The type of window that is best for you will depend on numerous determinations. A guide to window selection identifies features that are available to you.
A good window is not only functional but is beautiful. Preferably, a window will have a high level of energy efficiency and sound insulation. Also, a good window offers ample natural light. As such, windows are an integral part of any building. Providing a sense of space and offering a glimpse of the outside world are key functions.
Window Selection Considerations
1. Function: The first consideration when buying windows for your home is function. What kind of window do you need? Do you need a window with a view? Do you want it to open and be operable? Windows come in many different shapes and sizes, so it’s important to know your needs before purchasing them.
2. Location: The second consideration when buying windows for your home is located. Where will the window go in your house? Windows bring light into dark spaces and make small rooms feel more spacious.
3. Installation: Additionally, you will want to consider installation. Will you install them yourself as a DIY project or hire a contractor? A contractor with experience, knowledge, and expertise is advisable. Errors in window selection and installation are a costly occurrence and one to avoid.
In either case, there are a few more considerations to make:
Basic Window Essentials
Windows are an essential part of any home. They provide ventilation, protection, and aesthetics. Basic window types are casement, single hung, and replacement windows.
- Casement windows are the most common type of window. They have a crank handle that opens and closes them with ease.
- Single-hung windows are similar to casement windows but open from the bottom with a single operational lower sash.
- Replacement windows are a good choice when damage exists to the original window frame. Also, when you want to upgrade your home’s energy efficiency.
Beyond the basics of home and office windows in a variety of options to choose from. Architectural styles, materials, functions, color, and shape come in a seemingly endless array of choices.
Bay Windows and Bow Windows
Bay windows provide a unique combination of both inside and outside views, which makes them great if you want to combine indoor living space with outdoor views or if you want to bring more natural light into your environment. Both windows combine three or more windows. Together, they angle out beyond the house wall. Additionally, they can be casement, double-hung, or picture units, depending on the need. By using more windows, bay and bow windows allow more light in. They also give you extra space inside your room. Plant lovers and indoor gardeners will typically gravitate to a bay or bow window. Its additional shelf or wide windowsill is perfect for potted greenery.
Picture windows are large windows that provide an unobstructed view of the outside world. They are perfect for people who love to watch the sunrise or sunset. For families, to watch their children play in the backyard. Picture windows “fixed” and set in place and perfect for larger spaces. Picture windows do not open but provide an uninterrupted view of the outdoors. With no mechanical parts, they are practically maintenance-free.
Most window manufacturers refer to picture windows as architectural and it’s easy to understand why. The following are the top types of picture windows.
- Half Circle
- Arc Top
They are available by shape, as their names indicate. To summarize, windows are an essential part of any home. They provide natural light, and ventilation and offer a view of the outside world. Using a guide to window selection ensures your choice best suits your needs.
Locktight Windows and Doors is Florida’s most experienced window and door contractor. With well over 50 years of experience in project design and installation of Hurricane Impact Windows & Doors in South Florida. Our mission is to help you choose the right products to protect your homes and families, at the most competitive prices. Contact us today for a guide to window selection and consultation.